Photojournalism and Documentary Course
My education program is to promote, teach and foster high-quality national and international journalism by upskilling emerging professionals and students on scholarship from the majority world and underrepresented communities/countries in media practice, visual journalism, narrative, ethics, business and entrepreneurship.
I have been committed to the education and vocational training of others who want to learn about and progress in photography since I started teaching in 2017. As a result of my own passion for photography, I have gained a reputation for innovation in this field.
Education is paramount and in addition to my flagship Mentorship Program, I offer a vibrant program of seminars, workshops and masterclasses. I am pleased to announce that I will be offering these sought-after courses in partnership with other outstanding photographers now, as 2020 is the year when I founded VX Pictures.
In order to provide you with an education programme that best suits you, my Full Photojournalism and Documentary Course is comprised of all of the modules below.
Alternatively, if you do not require everything detailed below, I am also able to offer each individual module as a stand-alone course.
It is my duty to encourage and assist all members of our profession, individually and collectively, so that the quality of photojournalism may constantly be raised to higher standards. Among the topics, I will be teaching you about image theft, photo plagiarism; and photo manipulation, its consequences and benefits.
Relationships with sources require the utmost in sound judgment and self-discipline to prevent the fact or appearance of partiality. Even though this topic defies hard and fast rules, it is essential that we preserve a professional detachment, free of any whiff of bias. As e member of the press, you must obey the law in the pursuit of news. You may not break into buildings, homes, apartments or offices in pursuit of the news. With me, you have the opportunity to learn the quality of ethical journalism, during an online one-to-one course or with a group of friends, or colleagues.
This is a set of 3 contact sessions which lasts 240 minutes. It is optional if you’d like to choose it as course with production and mentorship to further develop yourself if you have a goal more than just learning to produce beautiful photographs and learn how to edit them and keep them safe.
The 3 Parts
- Part 1: Introduction to Photography; Composition and the Rule of Thirds.
- Portrait and Street Photography; Digital Workflow and Asset Management.
- Post Production & further mentorship (optional offers that we can discuss).
This is a course with practice and an optional choice of production. All my courses are suitable for people of all levels of knowledge – from beginners to master level classes.
You will learn how to:
- build a Photo-Story.
- pick a subject and how to research it.
- fully and effectively investigate a subject, and how to introduce it photographically.
- ask the correct questions.
- apply filters.
Documentary & Reportage
In this course you will learn the following:
- What is documentary photography?
- What is a long-term documentary photography project?
- What is Journalism, and what is the difference between photographer, press, photojournalist and documentary photographer?
- Why is it important to understand the scope of each and how to define them?
Photography & Activism
My syllabus is specifically tailored to help you understand the underlying political and social values that have driven government policies for the past decade, and the continuing impact of that political narrative. My counter-narrative and understanding of the world gleaned from my extensive global experience which will aid you in clarifying and solidifying your social justice goals for a better society.
In this course you will learn the following:
- What is Photography & Activism?
- What is Social Activism?
- What is Journalism, and the difference between social activists and journalists, and why is it important to understand the scope of each and how to define them?
- Risks and opportunities.
- How to visualise your campaign.
- How to prepare your campaign.
- How to recruit (or attract?) supporters for your cause.
- How to effectively execute (or implement) your campaign.
- Social Media Campaigning.
- How to campaign using photography.
- Social Activist duties and results.
This is a workshop that requires 18 hours and it can be delivered in various options of days and hours, including with or without production.
The cost of the full Photojournalism and Documentary Course is £700 per month and spans across 6 months with 2 contact hours per week (total cost of £4,200.00 for the full course). You will receive a 5% discount on the full course cost if full payment is made in advance of enrolling onto the course.
Alternatively, each individual module can be enrolled onto at the cost of £450 per month, and each of these modules are designed to span across 2 months (total cost of £900.00 per module).
What you can expect
Upon successful completion of the Full Course you will:
- know how to take amazing photos that impress your family, friends and editors.
- know how the camera truly works, so you can take better photos using manual settings.
- know how to photograph in different scenarios like family portraits, events, news, documentary, and reportage.
- know how to compose images beautifully with basic photography rules.
- know how to edit and manage your pictures like a professional.
- know how to make money with photography.
- know how to take better pictures even with smartphones.
Why you should be enrolling?
My teaching programme will help you enhance your skills and gain the necessary ethical and professional knowledge to nurture and boost your experience and photographic goals. It is suitable for people of all levels of knowledge – from beginners to master level classes.
My expertise in sharing knowledge will help you develop innate skills of interactions that I have been honed and fine-tuned through experience. I will teach you to interact effectively and diplomatically in any given circumstance. I will help you develop amazing abilities to work independently, handle pressure and stress with good humour, which is the outcome of my high success rates and outstanding results.
In addition, you will know how to do due-diligence and coordinate your projects. This will ensure that you will be able to always plan thoroughly in advance and implement your projects carefully and seamlessly.
My excellent and proven organisational and project management skills will give you the tool to be able to plan and organise your assignments, coordinating each activity and project within the reasonable time frame set by the client, and working firmly within a framework of human and professional ethics.
My Commitment to my Students
I consistently focus on developing new, exciting, and stimulating education programs to add to the existing ones that I already offer.
These programs are available in Britain, Europe (worldwide upon request), in-person and online. My programs will place emphasis on providing education and professional development and training in communities and individual young adults where there is little or no access to learning photographic excellence and it is my intention to partner with other interested organizations to provide opportunities for learning.
If you would like to enrol on my Full Course or any one of the individual modules then please click on the button below, select the course you would like to book and you will then be taken through to a payment page. After you have completed this, you will be redirected to a form to provide me with all of the necessary information that I need.
Pay in Advance
Make full payment in advance to receive a 5% discount on the cost of your course.
Spread the cost of your course over a set number of months by clicking on the button below and selecting either the Full Course or the module that you would like to enrol on.